Monday, October 15, 2007

Mumbai Express

Term 5 started today after a slightly longish break. I spent the better part of the term break in Bombay with my ELP client, a construction major. This was my first real trip to Bombay, discounting all the transit trips I have done in the past. Having heard a lot about the city I was at my critical best. First things first, the Bombay airport is really amazing, very spacious and truly international standards. The idea of PPP(Public private partnership) really got into my head, in form and spirit. This phenomenon is truly powerful. Over the course of the week as my understanding of the construction business improved, I realized that PPP is one sure way of meeting our insatiable infrastructure needs. Next comes traffic, quite expectedly it was heavy even during the weekend. Can't really complain considering the population and the amount of activity that happens in Bombay everyday. Our team stayed closer to Powai, so quite outside the hustle, bustle(shd I say that). Checked out Hiranandani, Cafe Mocha, KFC and Aura bar, all very good places. Speaking of highs and lows of the trip, the high definitely was the visit to the Bandra-Worli sea link project. Our ELP client is working on this prestigious project and once completed it will be one of a kind in India and will definitely become the pride of Bombay. The low of course was with the local. With superior predictive skills and due to the fact that I was carrying luggageI purchased a first class ticket from Vikhroli to Ambernath and later found that there is no crowd difference in any compartment. Thank God I had experience in the Chennai local, I could weather the journey in spite of a few gali exchanges here and there. The final icing was flying back in Kingfisher, before the truckload of pre-reads hit me on my face again.

(In the pic...A model of the Bandra-Worli sea link)

0 comments: