Sunday, September 23, 2007

Why?

Recently, I came through a news article that said that private hospitals all over India have started doing a basic test to check for HIV virus in every patient's blood and immediately several groups have started protesting against this saying that the hospitals are violating the fundamental right 'to consent' to be a subject of the test. What crap? I mean, in my opinion, these hospitals have taken an incredible step. When the HIV demon is proliferating at such a rate in India and can stand as one of the country's biggest challenges in the years to come, this kind of screening of blood is of paramount importance. When social groups should start appreciating this move and make the government make this mandatory everywhere, they are actually protesting against this !! I donno what kind of bloody motivation is there behind these protests.

On the other hand, the Ram setu controversy is reaching its crescendo. Haven't we already done enough damage to our country by playing with the religion card. I'm sure we can use scientific evidence to prove all mythology wrong. But here we are talking about emotions and sentiments. When we can be sentimental about a pen or a piece of jewellery, why not appreciate the fact that some people are sentimental about the Adam's bridge. I really can't understand "Why?" !!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Deepak,

Testing for HIV against my will is against my fundamental right to privacy. it is neccessary IF im donating blood of a body part... but for routine check up, i dont think its necessary... dont forget the social ramifications of this... what will happen to me and my family if word gets out that im HIV + ? dont forget what happened to 6 hiv + innocent children in kottayam dist of kerala...

If its not necessary for treatment, y should i be subject to that?

Deepak Chembath said...

Anon...I give it to you that the social stigma associated with HIV infection is really high. But the rate at which the disease is spreading is indeed disconcerting. My idea around this would be some kind of masking with ref.numbers etc. so that only responsible doctors can associate the infected patients with the numbers. In my view mandatory testing is the way to go. Let me know your views.