Friday, April 20, 2007

Orientation Madness

It has been a roller coaster first week at ISB so far. I would have shook hands with atleast 200-250 new admits and would at best remember around 100 names ! First lesson learnt "Unless you spend some quality time with a person you will not remember his/her name. Shaking hands just for the heck of it is really useless".
The batch of 2007 is doing a really fantastic job with the gyaan sessions et al but man the schedules are really crazy. The earliest I have slept so far is 2:00 AM and that too on the day I landed here.

After registration on saturday things started rolling with the dean's address on Sunday(April 15th). ISB wants to convey the message to the new batch that sunday or monday ISB will keep buzzing all along. The speech by professor Ajit Rangnekar was really insightful. His speech totally captured the students pulse. He took a jab at everything from IITian prejudices to unwarranted placement pressures to honor code violations. The clear hype on management consulting was very obvious and I got to learn that ISB was really a pro-consulting school. I donno how I will benefit from this but lemme play the waiting game.

The next four days have been really crazy with sports, treasure hunt, team buildings, gyaan sessions, club presentations, career perspectives, leadership development session and a case workshop. I had my first midnight gyaan on wednesday when the informal gyaan from the Biz Tech club went on till 1:30 AM. I tasted first victory in ISB as part of the section D Tug-of-war team. In section D some great bonding is happening. Looks like we have a great legacy to carry forward from our previous batch. Big time cheering is going on during the fun events and some of our chants go like "Go D Go" and "Jeethega bhai jeethega, section D jeethega".

Already two chicks have light a flame in my heart but both fizzed out after I saw them smoking. I thought smoking these days is out of fashion but I was surprised to see atleast 50-60% of the girls smoke. Right now preparation is on for the talent night on saturday night and by all projections the craziness will continue till end of this week. Pre-terms start next week and hopefully I'll get into a groove and manage to balance my act.

0 comments: