Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rebrand Terrorism

So Mumbai happened !!! It pains me so much that these morbid infiltrators could sneak into my country. Television channels are rife debating over what needs to be done to combat terrorism. There is a lot of talk about heads that need to roll and how the security apparatus should change etc. I agree to all of these. At the same time I think we should attack this at a more fundamental level. When I say fundamental I'm talking about the general psyche of the common man and these terrorists themselves.

My two cents is that we should stop calling these heartless insane acts as 'Terrorism' and stop calling these guys as 'Terrorists'. The word 'Terrorist' is a very powerful word that evokes sense of fear in the minds of anyone who hears it. It is only natural that the common man feels weakened and let down when he hears about terrorist attacks. At the same time this word really boosts the morale of these insidious elements. They are proud of the fact that they are perpetrators of terror and this is a vicious cycle.

I wish the governments, media houses, PR agencies etc. from around the world come together and decide that it is time for a re-branding. Let us decide to call these terrorists as 'cowards' or 'spineless bastards' or something to that effect. I believe that when we start hearing this from the media over and over again it will definitely debilitate the morale of the terrorists. And not to mention it will surely have a positive effect on the psyche of the common man. Is someone listening?

4 comments:

Puneet Yadav said...

I am. I agree that more such senseless scoundrels would be feeling pumped up from the way events were handled and attention their brothers drew.
But rebranding is not sufficient. We need some hangings, from Afzal guru to his political god fathers and political god mother- to send the right message 'early'.

Deepak Chembath said...

Great to have your comment man. Yes you are right. The step I'm suggesting is more on the psychological side of the equation. There is a lot more to be done.

Anonymous said...

Deepak,

Did you ever share this on any of the popular TV news channel website? say something like NDTV.

This is a simple yet powerful thought. We should share this with a larger mass. Not many ppl are going to read your personal blogspot :(

All the regional languages too must come up with a more derogatory, demeaning synonym for "Aatankvaadi".

Deepak Chembath said...

No I haven't shared this with any one in the media.

I too wish that like minded people should get together and pass this message across.