Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sister Stella

Early this morning granpa complained of wheezing and I made my first hospital visit in Pune. I was expecting to see some things different in Pune hospitals, based on the kind of customer service I have received so far, across the board. But guess what, the experience was exactly similar to what I have seen in Chennai all the time. The first person to greet us in the hospital was a Malayali nurse and true to my expectations she did everything right all through the day. It is always great for us mallus in Chennai because we see hordes of mallu nurses in any hospital we go. I was not really expecting that to happen in Pune. But from today's experience I think I can safely conclude that mallu women have made nursing their bastion everywhere.

Then I pondered why on earth mallu women do so well in nursing. Is it because they are more service-minded than women from other communities. That didn't sound right. No one can question the motherly qualities that women of every race hold. Does the literacy level of women in Kerala help make nursing easier to learn? May be not. More thought let me to conclude that the matriarchal system is what is responsible for this. The matriarchal system in Kerala is the reason for the empowerment of women in Kerala (we all know that Kerala has 1000+ women for every 1000 men). I know not all women empowerment experts would agree that women in Kerala are fully empowered. Nevertheless, nursing is a demanding profession and more than just service-mindedness the women need to be courageous. There is so much pressure, so much responsibility and very often you need to work really odd hours. All these require a level of maturity and boldness and I seriously believe it is here that mallu women score better. Comments?

Anyways for all non-mallus apart from the great service there is assured fun when they start talking in english. Listen to this audio-clip if you have not had any first hand experience so far.

5 comments:

Tejas Kulkarni said...

The same clip we were made to hear during NEO! :P

Deepak Chembath said...

Yes. It is the same one :)

Maria George said...

most of the mallu nurses i've seen are x'tian too... I tend to think that the huge number of mallu nurses is because of the opportunities it gave them to move out of kerala and onto lands they would have only dreamed of otherwise... its not just other parts of India or the Middle East... Mallu nurses are popular in Europe and America too..

Deepak Chembath said...

Very true Daags.

Kristen Brown said...

Stores that offer senior citizen discounts will tend to attract more senior citizen customers than stores that do not. retirement communities